Dictators of the 20th and 21st Centuries
This list is for interest only - it is
1. Ne Win, Burma
2. Joseph Stalin, Soviet Union
3. Fidel Castro, Cuba
4. Kim Il Sung or Kim Jong Il, North Korea
5. Mao Zedong, China
6. Benito Mussolini, Italy
7. Hafez al-Assad, Syria
8. Saddam Hussein, Iraq
9. Augusto Pinochet, Chile
10. Adolf Hitler, Germany
11. Joseph Tito, Yugoslavia
12. Matyas Rákosi, Hungary
13. Qaddafi, Libya
14. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
15. Ayatollah Khomeini, Iran
16. Idi Amin, Uganda
17. Yusaveri Museveni, Uganda
18. T. Suharto, Indonesia
19. Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe
20. Pol Pot, Cambodia
21. Mobutu Sese Seko, Congo
22. Joseph Kabila, Congo
23. Slobodan Milosevic, Serbia and Yugoslavia
24. Juan Peron, Argentina
25. Leopoldo Galtieri, Argentina
26. Francisco Franco, Spain
27. Nicola Ceausescu, Romania
28. Haile Selassie, Ethiopia
29. Anastacio Somozo (Sr. or Jr.), Nicaragua
30. Francois and Jean Claude Duvalier, Haiti
31. Ferdinand Marcos, Philippines
32. Omar al-Bashir, Sudan
33. Charles Taylor, Liberia
Points to Remember:
- It is helpful to begin by reading general articles in an encyclopedia to get an understanding of the topic and to help to formulate searching questions.
- Before you begin your research, make sure that you have posed good, searching questions that will drive your research.
- Once you have those questions, underline or circle the most important words - they will be the key words you use when searching.
- Use the Command F or Control F functions to locate specific words in an article.
- You will not find a source that will answer your question exactly. Your sources will give you information that you will then think about, synthesise and use to formulate your own argument.
- Use Noodle Tools to keep track of your sources, make notes, make your essay outline, transfer your notes into Word, and use them to write your essay, write correct in-text citations and create an accurate Works Cited List.